Join our Team
We are currently hiring for the following positions:
Apprentice Dancer with a SCI
(Spinal Cord Injury, see details below)
Are you a physical person with a Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)* who has a passion for movement, dance and exploration and would relish the opportunity to dance and train with America's leading physically integrated dance company? Then AXIS is looking for you!
From January through November 2019 AXIS Dance Company is offering an AXIS Immersion Apprenticeship.
AXIS’ Immersion Apprenticeship program will propel an individual with SCI into the expansive world of physically integrated dance under the guidance of AXIS and AXIS’ Artistic Director Marc Brew, who himself has SCI. The Apprentice would study under the company for 10 months receiving extended dance education and on the job training participating in daily rehearsals, master classes, administering outreach and engagement programming in the Bay Area Community, and one national tour. As part of the apprenticeship AXIS will provide a monthly, relocation and accommodations stipends, as well as a stipend for professional development (including AXIS’ physically integrated 2019 Summer Intensive Program), and medical equipment as needed including specialized wheelchair for dance and professional rehabilitation services.
Apprentices will be on a 30hr per week schedule and will attend all company classes, rehearsals, master classes, residencies and workshops along side our dancers.
Activities includes participating in:
- Dance Access Day is a unique event for schools and children of all ages to learn about the magic of theater and integrated dance. AXIS dancers will perform innovative choreography that demonstrates how people with and without disabilities work together.
- Youth Show Performance, a creation of a new performance program designed for young audiences and their families in a relaxed environment.
- Summer Intensive: a week-long course attended by dancers from all over the world that culminates in a showing of choreographed work created during the week.
- School assemblies, outreach events and all classes that we teach through our studio program, in the community and in residencies.
- Creation of new work by international choreographer Arthur Pita
- Learn AXIS’ current performance repertoire and exposure to renowned choreographers
- Be apart of our Performance, Touring and Education Programs
The ideal candidate:
-Age is 18+
-Eager to learn
-Has a passion for movement, dance and exploration
-Fluent in English
Compensation: $2,500/month + Travel and Accommodation Stipend
*Grant Requirement Within the Foundation, the criteria for eligibility for scholarship support and/or artists residencies follows. Please let this help guide your recruiting process:
Only individuals with neurological and functional impairment due to traumatic SCI, degenerative disease primary to the spinal cord (i.e., transverse myelitis) or damage to the spinal cord due to tumors and surgery are eligible for support through this program. Individuals with spinal dysfunction, paralysis or pain syndromes caused by other disorders are not eligible (e.g., multiple sclerosis, ALS, Chiari malformation, cerebral palsy, spina bifada, primary orthopedic disorders and peripheral nerve injury).
APPLICATIONS DUE DEC 10th
This apprenticeship is made possible through funding from the Craig H. Neilsen Foundation. Craig H. Neilsen Foundation’s funding is dedicated to supporting both programs and scientific research to improve the quality of life for those affected by and living with spinal cord injury.