Community Engagement Manager
Title: COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
Reports To: Artistic Director
Schedule: Three-Quarters to Full Time
AXIS Dance Company exists to change the face of dance and disability. By commissioning, creating, and performing contemporary dance that is inclusive of disabled and non-disabled artists, and championing engagement opportunities as well as advocacy efforts that broaden the reach of the physically integrated dance field, we are deepening an understanding across the Bay Area that all bodies can dance.
AXIS embodies the power of radical inclusion across our organization. We are people with and without disabilities, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, immigrants and Americans. Our dancers, staff and board members each have personal commitments to representation and inclusion and to intentionally and thoughtfully growing our accessibility offerings. We are seeking a Community Engagement Manager to join our grassroots team who is both qualified and a strong cultural fit that shares our values and vision for a more inclusive, equitable, and diverse Oakland arts community.
The Community Engagement Manager will ensure the successful implementation and production of AXIS’ robust engagement programing both locally and on tour. They are responsible for maintaining relationships with key partners including schools, presenters, and community organizations. Drawing on their and AXIS’ existing professional relationships and networks they will contribute to expanding the visibility and outreach of the organization. The Community Engagement Manager is a key player in guaranteeing the continuity of AXIS’ programs, and their alignment with the mission. This position reports to the Artistic Director, with a close collaborative relationship with the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
Outreach (locally and on tour):
● In collaboration with the Artistic and Executive Directors create and manage annual engagement plan, establishing goals and benchmarks for program development and evaluation including building and maintaining program budgets.
● Collaborate with Artistic Director and Executive Director to build annual master calendar of events balancing local education programs and performances with tour engagements.
● Serve as point person for all educational bookings including school assemblies, residencies, master classes, lectures, adult and youth studio programs, showings/presentations (corporate, non-profit, etc.) through responding to initial inquiries, preparing contracts, developing internal calendars and as well finalizing logistics.
● In conjunction with Operations Manager and intern coordinate all logistics and preparation for AXIS’ onsite Education Programs including booking space, establishing registration processes, ongoing follow up correspondence, booking travel for guest artists and coordinating production details such as volunteer recruitment and reception planning. Annual programs include Dance Access Day, Summer Intensive and Choreo-Lab.
● Serve as point of contact for all presenters designing outreach activities and liaising with production manager to coordinate tech logistics. Oversee marketing and promotional materials, developing program narrative in collaboration with Artistic Director & Marketing Associate.
● With support from the Operations Manager and intern, ensure all flight, hotel and ground transportation for tours and related travel logistics are arranged including creating tour itineraries for dancers, production and artistic staff
● With Operations Manager, lead production and front of house at performances and outreach events
● Collaborate with the Marketing Associate to build the annual marketing plan and calendar, producing draft copy for web and print materials related to education and touring events
● In collaboration with the Artistic Director develop a Summer Intensive handbook for each of the three modules.
● With Artistic Director, create repertory production briefings and tech riders
● Provide Marketing Associate with content for social media posts about education and outreach
Program Development and Assessment:
● In collaboration with the Artistic Director and dancers, develop curriculum for classes, jams, workshops and intensives.
● With the support of the Development Manager and intern, design, administer, and evaluate participant surveys from performance and education events as well as provide program data for marketing and development efforts, including grant narratives.
● In collaboration with Artistic Director, develop new programs that are in line with AXIS’ mission and support the growth of the field of physically integrated dance.
● In collaboration with Artistic Director, maintain and update syllabi and education handbook in connection with new repertory, concepts and processes
● Develop workshops for corporations and businesses connected to sponsorship, volunteer and corporating giving partnerships In collaboration with Artistic Director
Long-Term Program Development:
● With Artistic Director and teaching artists, develop community partnerships to establish regular on-going classes at the Malonga studio.
The responsibilities and tasks associated with this position will require that the Manager regularly remain in a sedentary position for at least 50% of the time. Community Engagement Manager must be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. The ability to constantly use a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a printer, copier, and calculator is necessary. Occasional lifting and/or moving of objects up to 20 pounds may be required. This position will require the ability to travel occasionally, both locally and long distances. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable otherwise qualified individuals to perform these functions.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Management reserves the right to revise the responsibilities or to require other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Non Physical Demands/Qualifications:
Success in this position will depend upon the following skills, traits and requirements:
● Personal commitment to inclusion and belief in AXIS Dance Company’s mission
● BA (required), MA (preferred)
● 3-5 years of arts education administrative experience including demonstrated success in program and curriculum development and implementation
● Demonstrated excellence in writing, organizational, communication skills, and sales
● Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously within ambitious time frames
● Capacity to work independently and collaboratively as needed
● Skilled at handling detailed work accurately and quickly
● Possess strong computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite and database software (experience with Salesforce a plus)
● Self-directed and energetic and an ability to take direction
● Experience working with people of all ages, socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, and sexualities
● Able to work in a cozy and shared office space and be respectful of others
● Having a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for running errands and attending events a plus.
AXIS celebrates the contributions of people from diverse backgrounds and the strengths gained by their inclusion in our organization. We encourage people of color, those of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities to apply and do not discriminate on any grounds.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to email@example.com by March 12th.
Summer 2019 Intern
Catch a behind-the-scenes look at a professional dance company and gain hands-on experience in arts administration. AXIS internships provide aspiring artists, arts educators, managers and leaders the opportunity to learn about the inner workings of a mid-sized modern dance company. Internships focus on areas including but not limited to: company touring, educational programming, social media, and local performances.
Interns must be currently enrolled in an accredited school or vocational training program that is relevant to the field.
People with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply. Stipend and college credit available.
We have three primary internship periods - Winter/Spring (Jan-May), Summer (May-Aug), and Fall (Aug-Nov).
We are currently accepting applicants for Summer 2019. This position will include administratively assisting AXIS’ second Choreo-Lab program for supporting the work of disabled choreographers. The Intern will also make preparations for AXIS’ Summer Intensive Program by coordinating travel arrangements, assembling welcome packets, marketing free performances, and managing logistics and registration in advance.
- Basic Microsoft Suite and Google Suite knowledge
- Social Media savvy
- Excellent phone and people skills
- Enthusiasm for working with the public
- Ability to multi-task while working independently
To apply, please send resume and cover letter addressing the following questions:
1. Why are you applying for this internship?
2. What attracts you to AXIS Dance Company, and what makes you a good fit for an internship?
3. What Internship period are you applying for?
For inquiries, please contact Danika Ingraham at firstname.lastname@example.org