POSITION DESCRIPTION - MARKETING ASSOCIATE
AXIS DANCE COMPANY
Deadline for application is February 1, 2017.
Position will begin late February 2017.
Competitive Salary, depending on candidate's experience. Benefits include an employer-paid health plan and paid vacation. This is a part-time, exempt position.
You're someone who is passionate about the arts and fearless about marketing. You might just be getting started, but you're in this for the long haul, and you envision yourself as an Arts Administrator or a Marketing Director in the future. You will play an essential role in AXIS’ future growth. You'll work closely with the Founder, Artistic Director, and Engagement Director to implement innovative strategies for building and scaling marketing efforts to increase AXIS’ visibility and audience.
Joining the AXIS team means joining a group of smart and dedicated people who are driving an established organization. Our culture is artist-focused and highly collaborative. As a new staff member, you'll have the chance to participate in meaningful conversations about the future of our organization, the impact we can have in our community, and the role of art in creating and vibrant, equitable society. We value the flexibility and perks of working at a mid-size arts organization and we think you will too.
The Marketing Associate will support the successful implementation of AXIS’ marketing and communications across all platforms. You will be responsible for supporting all marketing efforts and maintaining accurate records. The Marketing Associate is a key player on the AXIS team and reports to the Founder.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with staff on and implements a comprehensive communications strategy that extends the reach of AXIS priorities, programs, materials and events
- Collaborates with staff on key communications materials and talking points to ensure compelling and consistent messaging
- Manages marketing calendar to optimize flow of organization’s communications
- Manages content for the website, monthly newsletters, blogs, and social media
- Drafts press releases and pitches
- Produces PR materials
- Coordinates the work of marketing contractors and volunteers to ensure consistent style and quality of AXIS materials
- Maximizes the reach and effectiveness of AXIS marketing platforms
- Tracks marketing metrics and makes recommendations for improvements
- Drafts and presents internal marketing reports
- Keeps current on best practices for marketing and implements new approaches to improve organizational reach and effectiveness
- Updates AXIS style guides
- Updates the media contact list
- Collaborates with staff on the creation of marketing material, images and copy for programs
- Collaborates with staff on development of presenter packs and liaise with venues on all marketing material (posters, previews, programs, press) for tour
Non Physical Demands/Qualifications:
Success in this position will depend upon the following skills, traits and requirements:
- Associate Degree or BA
- 1-3 year’s experience in a non-profit organization, preferably performing arts
- Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Ability to edit video for social media, YouTube and website posting
- Demonstrated ability to execute email, social media and direct mail programs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with multiple target audiences, sometimes translating dense subject matter into accessible and compelling language
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, organizational and communication skills
- Ability to manage projects and deadlines successfully within ambitious time frames
- Capacity to work independently and collaboratively as needed
- Advanced knowledge using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Macintosh platform required. Experience with Salesforce or other CRM preferred. Experience with graphic design programs a plus. General technological savvy a plus.
- Fluency with Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Vimeo, Youtube, and Instagram
- Ability to work collaboratively and take direction
- Experience or willingness to work with people of all abilities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, and sexual orientations
- Preferred that you have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for running errands and attending events as needed
The responsibilities and tasks associated with this position will require that the Marketing Associate regularly remain in a sedentary position for at least 50% of the time. Marketing Associate must be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. The ability to constantly use a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a printer, copier, and calculator is necessary. Occasional lifting and/or moving of objects up to 20 pounds may be required. This position will require the ability to travel occasionally, both locally and long distances. Reasonable accommodations will be considered to enable otherwise qualified individuals to perform these functions.
This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change, or be eliminated. Management reserves the right to revise the responsibilities or to require other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
AXIS is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and people with disabilities.
Please send the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading 'Marketing Associate Application':
- A cover letter addressing why you want to work at AXIS and how your prior experience is relevant to this position.
- Two-three writing, marketing campaign collateral and video samples.
- A detailed resume.
- Three professional references.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
About AXIS Dance Company:
AXIS Dance Company (AXIS) exists to change the face of dance and disability.
We accomplish our mission through Artistic, Engagement, and Advocacy programs. Artistry is the heart of AXIS, and we collaborate with the highest profile dance makers, artists and teachers of our time, producing artistically stunning and significant dance works. AXIS' Engagement program began in direct response to community demand and is the most extensive integrated dance program in the US. Through Advocacy, AXIS champions access, equity, and inclusion, serving as a bridge between contemporary dance, physically integrated dance, and disability culture.
Entering our 30th year and under the Artistic Direction of Judith Smith, AXIS’ list of collaborators includes Bill T. Jones, Stephen Petronio, Yvonne Rainer, Ann Carlson, David Dorfman, Meredith Monk, Joan Jeanrenaud and Fred Frith. AXIS has toured to over 100 cities in US, Europe and Russia. The Company has received seven Isadora Duncan Dance Awards and has appeared twice on FOX TV's So You Think You Can Dance, exposing our genre of dance to millions.