From the desk of Guest Editor Rebecca Fortelka.
As you know, traveling away from home can be stressful, so we at AXIS want to make your time at Summer Intensive as enjoyable as we can. For those of you who need medical supplies or to rent a wheelchair/powerchair, we have compiled this handy guide to help you find anything you might need while you are here with us!
It is advised that you inform your doctors to let them know you are traveling. It’s always best to be prepared. This will ensure that you and your doctors are on the same page, so you can concentrate on dancing, learning, connecting with your community, and enjoying your time at the Summer Intensive.
Suggested paperwork to bring with you:
- A list of all medications you are currently taking
- A list of your allergies
- A list of supplies you require
- A contact list of your doctors and home pharmacies - (It will be easier for a medical supply company or pharmacist to pull up the standing order or contact your doctor for more info.)
- A note of medical necessity (if applicable) - NOTE: If you are renting from a larger company like Apria Healthcare, you will need a note of medical necessity and standing order from a doctor or a physical therapist for said items from a doctor or a physical therapist.
Wheelchair/Powerchair rental companies:
- Scoot Around rents mobility devices throughout the country. They will connect you with a local company and act as the liaison for all of your equipment needs.
- There is also a local place in Berkeley, CA, called Johnston Medical Supply. They are a one-stop shop for wheelchair/powerchair rentals and all of your medical supply needs.
Medical supply rentals:
(While the following businesses specialize in medical supply rentals, they also rent wheelchairs and some powerchairs, but are not as affordable as the two companies listed above)
- Oakland Medical Market is a great place to get supplies you might need. They have a wide variety of items and work with you to get you what you need at an affordable price. They also have a handy online catalog that will help you search for you need before you arrive.
- Thrifty Medical Supply is also a great place to get your medical supplies. They are one of few businesses in the Bay Area that will rent Hoyer lifts.
We hope this list makes your stay here with us that much better. If you have specific questions regarding Summer Intensive, please email our Community Engagement Manager, Robin at email@example.com.